From Scratch Whole Wheat Bread loaves
Yesterday I baked a whole lot. I finally had a perfectly bubbly sourdough starter, as yesterday marked a week since I started the starter. Results are what they are supposed to be now, with a bit of outside help.
Turned out my house, wasn’t hot enough, but I fixed the starter to a functioning bubbly state anyways. I was dead set on making a successful whole wheat loaf or two of bread, as the day before I wasted some flour, by not having a active enough starter discard. The bread that I made before never rose, nor the yeast never worked so they were hard as a rock, I have not and will not share pictures of that disaster. I did however have a self-determination inside me to make a successful one after those. So I did my best to make the yeast starter work right. So I fed it some brown sugar.
And boy did that work, the starter almost took over the whole stove. I mixed it, with some sugar, then let it sit for like 20 minutes and when I turned around it had overflowed the bowl it was in and was all over the stove, hey I guess the sugar worked. Since I had so much heavily activated starter discard, I put some back into my bulk starter to ensure it stays bubbly, and boy did that work too! Worked so well, that I put the starter into the fridge and now the next morning, it is still bubbly and foamy! I guess its ready to use again!
I did autolyse yesterday, as I have read that when you bake with whole wheat flour, it absorbs more water, so it needs to be more wet. My ratio was crazy too, I only used 2 cups of whole wheat flour to about 4 ½ –5 cups of bread flour. I mixed the gluten with milk and oil and let it sit for a few minutes before I added the salt, sugar and brown sugar activated yeast. The dough ended up being so wet that I had to add more bread flour to get it into an oiled bowl to rise. I think I could have added too much, but it still did its bulk rise in 2 hours like the day before when I made good bread.
After the bulk rise I split it in half, and place it into some loaf pans, I had one that was bigger than the other and I knew that one would bake better, and it did. I let them rise in the lowest setting in my oven. When they were ready I baked them at 350 degrees in the back of the oven, while I also baked some scones for my husband. He has been asking for them, so I made a quick blueberry topped batch, while the bread was rising. I knew the bread was done, when I could smell the crust getting browner, and almost too dark. I pulled them out and put them unto the cooling racks.
I got a little anxious and really loved the smell of the bread that I had to try it, I made a huge mistake and did not let the little loaf rest enough before cutting it so it deflated some. I kinda ruined it, but at least I had a better loaf to wait for.
Here are some pictures of the loafs out of the oven.
Here are the pictures of me cutting the small one.
Here are the scones;
Here are the first slices of the large one.
I finished slicing the large one this morning and I am having some for breakfast, it is really good bread, and I really like it. My husband and son would prefer me not making whole wheat sweet bread, they like my bread flour-pizza dough-Italian loafs better.
Here are the pictures from this morning.
I also made mashed potatoes and gravy and fried breaded chicken for dinner. With me and my sons chicken I topped it with my heirloom tomato sauce and a load of mozzarella, then broiled it. It was really good makeshift chicken Parmesan.
Here are some pictures of my plate.