Yesterday I made meatballs with mashed potatoes and gravy for dinner. It turned out really good. The whole family finished dinner last night, and I even had some seconds of potatoes.
I made the meatballs by combining pork and ground beef. I used country style pork sausage and some really lean ground beef. I defrosted the packages of meat, then combined them in a bowl with some salt pepper and marjoram. I added an egg to really make them stick together, but my meatball consistency after the egg was too wet. So I added a handful of breadcrumbs, I really did not want to end up using the breadcrumbs because they were Italian seasoning flavored and I wasn’t going for that flavor profile for dinner.
I shaped into balls and baked them, and they turned out great. I also made a batch of steamed potatoes, the old fashioned way. Steaming them covered in the oven. It worked well, I steamed them then mashed up with some butter and milk, then I whipped them to a fluffy state that we love. Air helps.
I also made a box of gravy from the food bank. The boys had enjoyed it last time that I made it, its a Cambells box soup for cooking. I used the garlic and herb gravy one. I also have some in the pantry for Mexican tomato soup and some Portabella mushroom gravy, I will use them soon enough. But the herb and garlic one was perfect for last night’s dinner. I slopped the gravy over the meatballs and the whipped potatoes, and it worked for both.
I also steamed some veggies for dinner, from the food bank. We had steamed quartered zucchini, and steamed cauliflower with dinner.
Here are a few pictures of dinner last night.
I also made the largest loaf of bread that I have ever made in my life. With my discarded starter for day 3, and some dry yeast and 4 ½ cups of flour, I made a HUGE loaf. I normally split my dough in half or thirds, and last night I just let it get big and did not divide it. I will NEVER do that again.
Here are some pictures of my gigantic loaf of bread.
I am going to do more baking today with discard of day 4 starter and the last of my dry yeast. I am getting really good results by mixing the two. I also did the autolyse method last night and ended up with a really wet dough for the bulk proof. I really had to manipulate it to be loaf shape for the second proof. I gave each proof like an hour or more. When baking bread; Time is an ingredient. I also have significantly let the rest of the bread cool for hours, before I will cut into the rest of it. The first quarter I got into I cut too soon, without giving it time to rest, some of the crust fell off, as you can see in the pic, and I semi crushed the fluffiness of it when I cut it into slices.