If there is any food I have exhausted all creative efforts for its butternut squash. Even with my new found creativity with cauliflower, I still have actually had more experience cooking with versatile butternut squash. Surprisingly enough there is even some sweet ways to use it.
First thing you should know is your going to have to prepare it. Obviously it has a very tough outer shell and we want to get to the golden inside. You can make it semi soft by throwing it into a microwave before cutting, but radiating your food for convenience is never a good idea, so just get a really sharp knife and cut it in half. Scoop out the seeds, save them if you want to roast them separate, and clean them good if you are saving them. You can roast your halves as is in the oven with some butter and garlic, they are super good roasted.
But my favorite way to use butternut squash would be steamed. I steam chopped up butternut and skin it after steaming, scooping out the yummy insides and pureeing it up and save the puree in jars for lots of creative recipes. I have to hid the jars though, or my son will eat it out like its a jar of applesauce. He loves butternut!
Here are some of my favorite butternut recipes and more to try:
- Roasted Butternut: roast halves with butter and garlic or even cubes on a cookie sheet. http://ohsheglows.com/2012/09/24/roasted-butternut–squash-with-kale-and-almond-pecan-parmesan/ http://www.mjandhungryman.com/roasted-butternut-squash-with-turkey-stuffing/
- Butternut Squash stuffing casserole: take diced butternut squash and diced stale bread and layer in a casserole dish with veggies and some cream of soup, cover and bake until soft.
- Butternut Squash Muffins: You can use butternut in place of applesauce in many baking recipes, cream it into a batter. Remember that if you don’t want to taste the butternut, to over season with spices to compensate for the squash flavor. http://simplycalledfood.com/2015/03/01/breakfast-butternut–squash-muffins/ http://minimalistbaker.com/gluten-free-butternut–squash-banana-bread/
- Butternut Squash Spaetzle: (noodles) this is by far my most creative use of butternut. I used butternut puree to make a noodle dough which you push through a colander into boiling water to create noodles.
- Butternut Squash Soup: Boil Diced butternut with garlic and spices, works well with red lentils. You can even use butternut to make a very creamy curry soup.
- Butternut Grain Free Flat bread: This is a great recipe that I cannot wait to try, by one of my favorite paleo bloggers and recipe developers. I will post pictures if I ever make it myself. http://empoweredsustenance.com/grain-free-butternut-flatbread/
- Butternut Veggie Burgers: You can use butternut in your veggie burger mix. Generally your favorite veggie will do well with a variety of others and your favorite spices. Its very easy to make a homemade veggie burger. Its like making mini little meatloaves but with no meat. http://cookingstoned.tv/recipe/spicy-butternut–squash-black-bean-burger/
- Butternut Crackers: Amazingly you can make yummy crackers out of butternut squash. You can puree it and turn it into about anything, just like cauliflower. Butternut is not as bland as cauliflower and it has its own distinct sweet flavor, so be sure to remember that. If you want to disguise the taste use more cheese or seasonings in any kind of homemade crackers. http://www.veganricha.com/2013/03/butternut–squash-rosemary-onion.html
- Butternut Cookies: Now I know you love reading my blog, but if there is any single Bohemian recipe blogging Idol I have particularly from facebook actually, is ally from ally’s kitchen. I have the most amazing butternut cookie recipe from her to share with you here, but do note you will get lost in her page, as with the spunky coconut and some others I loooovvvveeeee. She has the best pictures and bohemian style that any girl can ask for. So check out her cookie recipe and linger for a while.http://www.allyskitchen.com/peanut-butter-butternut–squash-cookies-with-finishing-salt/ http://www.leenaeats.com/blog/recipes/leena-bakes/leena-cooks-for-the-holidays-butternut–squash-oatmeal-scotchies/ http://shockinglyhealthy.com/2011/10/10/butternut–squash-oatmeal-cookie-tarts/ http://ourlifetastesgood.blogspot.com/2014/09/oatmeal-butternut–squash-cookies.html?m=1
- Butternut and pork: Butternut Squash is very good with fried pork, or any kind of pork. The sweetness of the squash complements the pork quite well.
- Butternut Fries: There are plenty of seasonings that would go well with butternut fries. Here are a few recipes. http://www.oatmealwithafork.com/2013/03/06/paleo-curried-butternut–squash-fries/
- Butternut Cake: Butternut cake, I know, crazy. But you can use it like applesauce, as stated above, so you can use it in cake.http://www.kneadforfood.com/butternut–squash-cake-salted-caramel-sauce/ http://thevietvegan.com/vegan-cream-cheese-frosted-butternut–squash-cake-cookies/ http://www.foodista.com/blog/2011/11/20/gf-buttermilk-butternut-bundt-cake-with-spiced-vanilla-glaze
- Butternut Cake Roll: This cute Halloween recipe uses cream cheese frosting and orange butternut cake. Rolled to perfection. If you have not made a cake or cookie roll yet, try, cause they are fun and always end up looking extra cute on the plate. http://www.olgasflavorfactory.com/sweets/butternut–squash-cake-roll/
- Butternut Porridge: Butternut squash puree into porridge. You can add apples to this and make it extra sweet. http://lovelovething.com/butternut-squash-porridge/
- Butternut Quiche: Add butternut to a quiche for extra fall flavor. http://www.marthastewart.com/331749/butternut-squash-and-bacon-quiche http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/butternut-squash-arugula-and-bacon-quiche/
- Butternut Gluten Free Lasagna: This may be a chore, but its an amazing recipe. I watched this on t.v. , and it seems very easy to make, once you have all the ingredients assembled. You can use roasted butternut squash in place of noodles for a noodle-less lasagna.http://www.cookedwell.com/vegan-butternut–squash-lasagna-with-cashew-cheese-and-kale-pesto-gf-vegan-paleo/ http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/03/25/butternut–squash-lasagna/
- Butternut Risotto-Rice: This is super similar to the way you make cauliflower rice. http://paleogrubs.com/butternut-squash-risotto-recipe
- Butternut Pie: Why not use butternut squash in place of sugar pumpkin in a traditional pumpkin pie? http://paleoinpdx.com/2013/11/18/crustless-butternut–squash-pie/
- Butternut Brownies: sounds so good! http://cookituppaleo.com/paleo-butternut-squash-brownies/
- Butternut Pudding: Butternut Puree can be made into pudding, yummy.http://glutenfreehappytummy.blogspot.com/2013/11/butternut–squash-dessert-pudding-gf-v.html?m=1
- Butternut Pizza Crust: ONE INGREDIENT!! r u kidding me?!? http://empoweredsustenance.com/butternut-squash-pizza-crust-gaps-paleo/
- Butternut Galette and Tarts: Just like a flakey crust pie, you can use butternut puree in tarts and open faced tarts which are called galettes. http://www.kcet.org/living/food/the-public-kitchen/butternut–squash-galette-recipe.html
- Butternut Waffles: Add Butternut puree to your homemade waffle mix. http://www.frugalorganicmama.com/butternut–squash-waffles/
- Butternut Biscuits: Add Butternut Puree into your biscuit mix. You can make them layered biscuits or flat biscuits. I have used it in this way and its particularly good with sprinkled salt on top.
http://www.bakeaholicmama.com/2011/10/butternut–squash-biscuits.html?m=1 http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/butternut–squash-biscuits/ http://peasandcrayons.com/2013/11/butternut–squash-biscuits-a-red-lobster-cheddar-bay-copycat.html
- Butternut Squash Ice Cream: As any educated paleo eater knows, anything blended with coconut milk and a sweetener can be frozen into an ice cream. So it makes perfect sense to me to make butternut squash ice cream. This is very similar to the dairy free banana ice cream I make and have for my son in the freezer. http://paleoparents.com/featured/the-healthiest-ice-cream-ever/